Star apple is considered one of the wonder fruits for diabetes. Having a very low glycemic index and with a high amount of fiber, star apple is really good for individuals with diabetes.
The Star apple is a low-carb and low-calorie fruit. Therefore, it makes a great diabetic-safe fruit for those with blood sugar issues.
Star apple is a very nutritious fruit and supplies the body with several healthy minerals and vitamins. It is also a good supply of antioxidants for the body.
All these qualities together make it a very immunity-boosting addition to the diet. It offers safety and protection to the health against other ailments that can worsen the body’s functioning.
Diabetes is a chronic condition that can lead to increased risks of other issues in the body. Moreover, regular symptoms also seem to heighten due to the impacts on blood sugar levels and metabolism.
These issues can be highly benefitted by incorporating useful and healthy food items such as the Star Apple fruit. It has no spiking effects on the blood sugar levels and, at the same time, also improves health holistically.
In addition to this, the star apple tree leaves are also used for medicinal purposes to extract and make into effective medicines. The star apple leaf extract is used as infusions to treat diabetes.
Hence, not just the fruit but the leaf of this tree is also good and helpful in controlling and managing diabetes. The bark of the tree also had several medicinal purposes.
7 Health benefits of eating star apple
All this while we praised the star apple for its numerous benefiting qualities and rich nutritional profile, but what are the actual advantages it has on health? Let us find out.
- It is a very light food item on the body. The star apple, as we already mentioned, is low in calories and sugars. Thus, it is a perfect food choice for anyone with weight issues.
- It is also an excellent source of fiber in the body. Fiber is necessary to maintain positive digestive health. It helps in keeping the metabolism perfectly paced and clean. Moreover, the fiber in the body helps prevent gut issues, constipation, indigestion, etc.
- It is also high in vitamins, especially vitamin C. this assists in strengthening the immunity of the body, collagen formation, wound-healing, etc.
- The numerous antioxidants available in star apple lead to a reduction of oxidative stress in the body. This, in turn, helps the body to stay away from the harmful effects of free radicals. These antioxidants also aid in fighting against cancer-causing agents in the body.
- Iron present in the star apple also gives rise to better blood circulation and immunity. It helps in preventing harmful effects of low hemoglobin, anemia, etc.
- The availability of calcium and phosphorus in the body assists in bone and tooth strengthening.
- The entire tree and its products are used in Ayurveda and for medicinal purposes.
What is the Glycemic Index of the Star Apple?
The glycemic index of Star Apple is just 28. This comes in the Low Glycemic Index category and will not spike blood glucose levels.
Measuring the healthiness of any food item becomes easier with knowing the Glycemic Index of that food. The glycemic index is a measure of the carbohydrate content in a food and its eventual impact on the body.
This method is more useful for diabetics, as they have to keep a constant eye on what they are eating and how it will affect their health.
The glycemic index of any food is measured on a scale of 0 to 100. It is then classified into three different categories based on their carb-content readings.
The following is a table representing the three glycemic index groups and their ranges:
|Sl. No.||Glycemic Index categories||Glycemic Index ranges|
|1.||Low Glycemic Index (safe for diabetics)||0 to 55|
|2.||Medium Glycemic Index (safe when taken in controlled quantities)||55 to 69|
|3.||High Glycemic Index (unsafe for diabetics)||From 70 and above|
With the table’s help given above, one can easily find out what safe or unsafe category one food belongs.
Now, let us move on to learn about the nutritional composition of this fruit.
What are the nutrition values of Star Apple?
Like every fruit, the star apple also has some other benefits to the body due to its nutritional contents.
The nutrients are the building blocks of any food that constitute the impact on the body. We already discussed that the star apple is rich in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins, which assist in the body’s overall health and wellness.
Let us have a look at what these nutrients of the star apple are and their quantities available. This table represents the types and quantities of nutrients found in 100 grams of star apple.
|Sl. No.||Nutrients found in 100 g of star apple||Amount available|
|8.||Riboflavin (vitamin B2)||0.04 mg|
|9.||Thiamine (vitamin B1)||0.08 mg|
|10.||Niacin (vitamin B3)||1.340 mg|
|11.||Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)||15.2 mg|
|12.||Vitamin B6||0.200 mg|
It also has notable amounts of minerals such as copper, folate, magnesium, potassium, etc. These are crucial minerals for the body that enable and enhance better functioning of the body.
All in all, these several nutrients nourish the body in numerous ways and have many benefits too. Let us have a detailed look at what the benefits of eating star apples are.
What are the side effects of eating too much star apple?
Alongside the many benefits, one also needs to take into consideration the harms of this fruit.
- Too much star fruit can lead to neurological issues and disorders. It must be eaten in limited amounts.
- It can also inflame kidney damage in individuals with already existing kidney issues.
It is important to know your body and its limits and accordingly administering to it.