If you are aware of your diabetic health conditions and keep your food portions in control, then peanut butter is amazing for your health. Peanut butter is said to be amazing for diabetic patients, but it is higher in calories, and therefore it must be had in moderated quantities only.
Unsweetened Peanut butter has been found to manage unstable blood sugar levels and help with controlling Type 2 Diabetes. You should always keep your diabetic levels in mind and have peanut butter in regulated amounts only to ensure its benefits.
When taken rightly, peanut butter can have a lot of benefits on the health and can be great for keeping the blood sugar levels low. It is a good source of healthy fats and proteins along with many other beneficial nutrients.
There are many diabetic-safe peanut butter options out there that you can consider fit for your diabetic meal plans. They are sugar-free and do not have artificially added flavors that make peanut butter higher in calories. We have a list of the best peanut butter for diabetics further in this article.
Peanuts are the main ingredient in peanut butter, and it is safe and good for diabetics as it has rich protein and healthy fat content.
Peanut butter is much recommended for diabetics because it can lower the glycemic load of other foods you pair it with. It has a low number of carbs and is hence, an excellent addition to your diabetic diets.
- 1 10 health benefits of Peanut Butter
- 2 Risks of eating peanut butter in Diabetes
- 3 What is the best peanut butter for diabetes?
- 4 Can diabetics eat regular peanut butter?
- 5 Can peanut butter lower blood sugar quickly?
- 6 Is peanut butter and apples good for Type 2 Diabetes?
- 7 References
10 health benefits of Peanut Butter
- It is a good and healthy source of protein that helps to provide energy for the body’s functioning. Diabetic patients require a good supply of daily protein.
- The many good compounds in peanut butter help to eliminate the absorption of cholesterol in the body. This helps in lowering overall cholesterol levels and protects against cardiovascular diseases.
- It contains low sugar and protects from high spikes and diabetes. Magnesium founds in peanut butter also helps to regulate blood sugar.
- The fat and protein in peanut butter keep you full and reduces cravings. It is thus helpful for weight loss.
- Peanut butter is also good for preventing gallstones.
- The several good nutrients, unsaturated fats, phytosterols, antioxidants, etc., assist in protecting from cancer growth.
- It is also said to be helpful when it comes to reducing age-related risks and diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- It provides a good supply of calcium, magnesium, and iron, which help to keep the bones strong and healthy.
- It is a healthy snack option that provides instant energy.
- It is also filled with fiber that can help with metabolism, digestive disorders, constipation, etc.
Risks of eating peanut butter in Diabetes
- If not taken in moderated amounts, you can pile up on fats and calories. Peanut butter is higher on the side of calories and fats. It can contribute to weight gain if not controlled.
- Peanut allergy is a commonly observed condition that can prove to be very serious. Thus, if you have a peanut allergy, stay away from peanut butter.
- Aflatoxins in peanut butter can, over time, impose liver dysfunctions.
What is the best peanut butter for diabetes?
Before we get into the list of the best peanut butter out there, here are some things you can keep in mind when choosing your peanut butter:
- Go for all-natural varieties of peanut butter. They are better than ones that have added chemical flavoring and preservatives.
- Look for peanuts as the primary or the only ingredient in your peanut butter to make sure you are buying natural and healthy varieties safe for diabetics. These types usually have a little salt as well.
- Look for a few ingredients and chemicals
- Look for no added oils in your peanut butter
So now, here are a few options that you can choose from:
1. Crazy Richard’s creamy peanut butter
This is one of the most recommended peanut butter brands by dieticians as it is made from the least ingredients.
Crazy Richard’s peanut butter claims to have 540 peanuts in one jar of peanut butter. This one does not contain any added oils, sugars, or even salts.
It is made purely out of peanuts and peanuts only. It is an easily available brand and one preferred by health and fitness enthusiasts as well.
You can choose it to keep your diabetic health satisfied.
2. Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter
This brand also comes on top of the healthy peanut butter recommendations. It fulfills exactly what we mentioned about looking for in your peanut butter jars – all peanuts and some salt.
It is a natural brand with few ingredients and no compromise on taste. Use it on your bread, with fruits, as side dips, etc. It is one of the highest-rated ones in the market too.
3. Adams 100% natural unsalted peanut butter
This is another one of the whole peanut-containing peanut butter brands. It is made up of peanuts only, and as the name suggests, it has no salt. Hence, it is also good for people who are advised to stay lower on sodium.
You can get it in either a crunchy or a creamy variety as per your liking.
4. Once Again, Organic creamy no salt peanut butter
Well, the title of this peanut butter brand says it all. It ticks off all the boxes. It is organic, has no added salts, and is a favorite for diet experts as well. It has very low amounts of natural sugar that increases its overall health value.
If you are looking for a low-sodium option, this is the one to go for.
5. Thrive market organic peanut butter
This is another great option, even expense-wise. Thrive Market’s peanut butter is made with 100% peanuts only and is also more affordable.
Moreover, this comes in a pouch form that can be easily squeezed and used. This is healthy for all.
6. Justin’s classic peanut butter
Justin’s is a great brand to shop your peanut butter from. It includes very low sodium to enhance the flavor of the peanut butter along with keeping it healthy.
7. Nuttzo Peanut pro smooth
This peanut butter has the goodness of seven nuts and seeds blended to the perfect smooth texture. Adding more nuts to your peanut butter makes it healthier.
It has many fiber and protein-rich nuts like – Brazilian nuts and flaxseed. Adding more varieties of healthy nuts adds a wide range of nutrients for added advantages to the diabetic body.
These are some of the many healthy as well as safe peanut butter brands that you can choose from. They are available in stores as well as online.
Can diabetics eat regular peanut butter?
Well, eating anything in excess may be bad for the health, so goes for peanut butter as well. For your diabetic health, you must be careful of the portions you stick to.
We already mentioned that diabetic patients must have their peanut butter in moderation. 2 tablespoons serving is an everyday limit for diabetic patients.
You can go for one tablespoon, but do not exceed the two tablespoons limit.
Can peanut butter lower blood sugar quickly?
Peanut butter is an item with very low sugars. It has a glycemic index value of just 14, which means that it does not raise blood sugar levels.
Peanut butter leads to a slow release of sugars in the blood. It keeps the body full for longer and reduces cravings that lead to high blood sugar levels.
Thus, peanut butter does help in reducing spikes in blood sugars.
Is peanut butter and apples good for Type 2 Diabetes?
Yes, indeed, apple slices with peanut butter are one of the healthiest snack options for diabetes. It is a healthy choice to suffice your cravings without harming your blood sugar levels. Just make sure to keep the limited portions in mind.