Last Updated on May 4, 2023 by Dr Sharon Baisil MD
But are there any fruits that one should stay away from? Especially diabetes patients? Are there some fruits that are extremely recommended and beneficial to one’s diabetic health?
Today we will talk about …
- Is Muskmelon or Honeydew good for Diabetes?
- What are its Glycemic measures?
- Nutritional elements found in muskmelon.
- 9 Health Benefits of eating muskmelon.
Want to know more and get a clearer idea about this commonly loved fruit? Well then, let us get started!
What is Muskmelon or Honey dew?
The muskmelon is a sweet-smelling and tasting fruit that is known by a variety of names. It is often called honeydew, cantaloupe, sweet melon, etc., cantaloupe and honey dew, and different types of the same muskmelon fruit, but these names are all used interchangeably.
These fruits are among the summer season favorites. The taste and health benefits of this fruit are incomparable.
It is a fruit known as the Cucumis Melo. They are big round and have a brittle outer covering. From inside, this fruit is yellow, peach, or orangish in color when fully ripe.
⭐ Check out this Flipbook with 30-Day Diabetic Meal Plan based on Foods from Each Indian State ⭐
(click on the ▶ arrow below to scroll the pages and 🔍 button to enlarge)
The musk melon has been scientifically cultivated to have a lot of similar varieties. They are all almost identical in appearance.
This juicy sweet fruit makes a summer-perfect snack. It is also rich in several crucial nutrients. They are also popularly known to keep the body cool and are considered better for women.
But are these fruits safe for diabetic individuals? Let us find out.
Is Muskmelon or Honeydew Good for Diabetes?
Well, this fruit is rather a questionable one, but to directly answer this – Yes, this is a safe fruit for diabetics indeed. It is safe when taken in moderation and would not cause any harmful risings in blood sugar levels.
The musk melon falls under the super-fruit category because of the availability of the numerous nutrients found in it. It can enrich the body with many health supplements that can keep many unwanted ailments, diabetic symptoms, health discomforts, etc., away.
The juicy composition of the fruit packs it with more water than flesh, and thus a good amount of muskmelon is also low in total flesh and ultimately totally carbohydrates.
The moderate amount of carbs in this fruit keeps it from causing unhealthy and dangerous spikes in the sugar level. In turn, your diabetes levels are maintained, and your health situation does not get threatened.
In addition to this, the muskmelon or honeydew is also good for you if you are looking for something that can keep your body weight under control. Maintaining normal body weight is a great way to keep away the risks of diabetes and reduce the chances of developing severe symptoms.
The amount of fat in muskmelons is almost negligible. This would not lead to any weight gain issues.
It is also an excellent fruit to manage the blood pressure of the body. The cholesterol and blood pressures when kept under control, the individual does not experience or develop heart disease or related health risks.
As a diabetes patient, these are some crucial pointers to keep in mind and follow.
What is the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load of Muskmelon?
One very helpful factor that makes the muskmelon safe and a recommended super-fruit for diabetic individuals is its Glycemic measure.
The Glycemic measures consist of the Glycemic Index and the Glycemic Load of various foods. These measurements consider the number of carbohydrates available in a food item and its effect on consumption to the body’s blood sugar levels.
These measures are primarily used to determine safe and suggested foods for people who are diagnosed with diabetes. These indication measures can assist them.
The Glycemic index depends on the number of carbs found in food and its effect on blood glucose levels. It is an appropriate measure and is divided into three categories. They include:
|Glycemic Index Categories
|Glycemic Index Range
|Low Glycemic Index
|From 0 to 55
|Medium Glycemic Index
|From 56 to 69
|High Glycemic Index
|70 and above
The Glycemic index of muskmelon falls in the medium Glycemic Index range. It is almost on the verge of being high Glycemic. The Glycemic Index of muskmelon is 65.
This denotes that a moderate amount of this fruit is safe for one’s diabetic health. But then what makes it so good for diabetics even after having an almost high Glycemic range?
Well, this is where the Glycemic Load of foods plays a crucial role. It determines the effect a food will produce on one’s blood glucose levels as per the quantity taken. Therefore, the portion or amount of food is also an important factor to pay attention to.
Similar to the Glycemic Index, the Glycemic Load categories are also divided into 3. They are:
|Glycemic Load Categories
|Glycemic Load Range
|Low Glycemic Load
|From 0 to 10
|Medium Glycemic Load
|From 11 to 19
|High Glycemic Load
|20 and above
The Glycemic Index of Muskmelon may be on the higher side, but the Glycemic Load nullifies it. The Glycemic Load of Muskmelon is very low; it is only 3.14. Thus, it falls under the Low Glycemic Load category, indicating that it is a safe and healthy food for diabetics.
This Glycemic Load value is for a cup of Muskmelon that is around 150 g. it is, thus, a very safe and suggested amount for consumption.
NOTE: Keep in mind that muskmelon juices may have a higher Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load because of the added sugars and artificial flavors found in it. Consuming fresh fruit is better than consuming the drink.
What is the Nutritional value of Muskmelon?
As we have already discussed, muskmelons are packed with many essential vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients. Let us go into greater details of the actual nutritional composition of Muskmelon and the amounts of nutrients available.
Here are the nutrients of muskmelon listed in the table below:
|Nutrients available in 100 g of Muskmelon
– Saturated fat
– Monounsaturated fat
– Polyunsaturated fat
– 0.002 g
– 0.039 g
– 5.69 g
From the above table, you can deduce that this fruit is filled with plenty of vitamins and minerals. Let us know in greater depth what the specific health benefits this fruit can offer to our body.
9 health Benefits of Eating Muskmelon
Following are the various advantages of having Muskmelon:
- The fiber and vitamin C available in this fruit help in keeping the digestive system healthy. They keep away ulcers, constipation, and indigestion issues. Fiber is also great for keeping the blood sugars under check.
- Muskmelon is also enriched with other minerals and vitamins that help boost the overall immunity of the body. Vitamin is a crucial element to keep the body healthy and protected from diseases.
- If you are someone with irregular blood pressure issues, then adding muskmelons or honey dews to your diets daily can help in keeping the blood pressures under control. This in turn also safeguards the heart and prevents the risks of cardiovascular diseases. Moreover, it is also helpful in keeping away other chronic health ailments.
- Day by day, your lungs start to weaken and may be exposed to various issues. These can lead to several respiratory impairments. Muskmelon is rich in vitamin A, and this supplement helps keep the lungs out of these potential risks.
- Muskmelon can also avoid pain relating to arthritis. Anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant qualities help in keeping the joints and muscles safe.
- Muskmelon is also helpful in keeping away tooth decay. It can cure various dental pains and issues.
- The availability of potassium in muskmelon is good for many health issues. It also helps in combating stress and keeping the mind healthy.
- Antioxidants in this fruit keep the skin and hair nourished. It helps to remove impurities, retains softness and moisture, and prevents skin outbreaks.
- It is also helpful in keeping the vision correct and protected. The richness of Vitamin C and A help in improving sight and keeping the eye properly functional.