There are plenty of types of fruits available out there. Some among them are quite popular and loved by all. The mango is one such fruit.
Do you enjoy mangoes? Are you diabetic and not sure if you can eat mangoes?
Today we will find answers to these questions.
We will tell you…
- Is mango good for diabetes?
- What is the Glycemic Index of mangoes?
- What is the nutritional composition of mangoes?
- What are its benefits?
And so on.
Let us jump right in!
Is Mango Good for Diabetes?
Mango is safe as well as a beneficial fruit when it comes to diabetics. Diabetics can eat mangoes provided they do not overdo it.
It is necessary to be vigilant. If your daily calorie intake is within limits, and the fruit is also taken in safe quantities, then it would not harm your blood sugar levels.
⭐ Check out this Flipbook with 30-Day Diabetic Meal Plan based on Foods from Each Indian State ⭐
(click on the ▶ arrow below to scroll the pages and 🔍 button to enlarge)
Mango is a fruit that can provide the body with fiber. Fiber is a very important nutrient for the body’s well-being.
The intake of fiber should be higher for the ones who have diabetes. The fiber in the body assists in keeping the digestive performance normal.
Fiber is a nutrient that is digested slowly. It contributes to reducing the overall pace of digestion.
Slower digestion leads to a reduced rate of releasing sugars in the blood as well. It results in a maintained level of blood sugar and helps to keep diabetes in control.
Fiber is also a nutrient that fills and satisfies the appetite. It keeps the stomach full and prevents the craving for over-eating other harmful foods.
In addition to that, the presence of many other nutrients also makes mangoes a good option for diabetics. They have anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, etc.
The body needs some primary nutrients to stay protected and healthy. Mangoes help to cover some of these nutrient necessities.
They can supply the body with top healthy nutrients such as – Vitamin C, Folate, Vitamin A, etc.
We will have a deeper look at the contents and benefits of this fruit.
What is the Glycemic Index of Mango?
The measures and indications derived from the Glycemic ranges are the most helpful for one’s diabetic diets.
The Glycemic Index measures if or not a particular food is safe or not for someone with blood sugar issues.
The Glycemic measures take into consideration the number of carbs available in a certain food. Their carbohydrate content decides the effects of food on an individual’s blood sugar level.
According to the Glycemic ratings of foods, the Glycemic index is divided into three categories.
|Sl. No.||Glycemic Index Categories||Glycemic Index Range|
|1.||Low Glycemic Index||From 0 to 55|
|2.||Medium Glycemic Index||From 56 to 69|
|3.||High Glycemic Index||70 and above|
The mango fruit has a Glycemic Index of 55. This is considered to fall under the category of low Glycemic foods.
Therefore, according to the Glycemic measures, the mango is safe and good for diabetic consumption.
What is the Glycemic Load of Mango?
In addition to the Glycemic Index, the Glycemic Load also plays a major role in determining if a food is safe for diabetics or not.
The Glycemic load takes into consideration the amount or the quantity of the food consumed.
The actual effect food has on the body is decided by the amounts of food consumed in the first place.
Just like the Glycemic Index, the Glycemic Load is also divided into three groups. It helps determine the goodness of food and helps make helpful choices when it comes to one’s blood sugar.
|Sl. No.||Glycemic Load Categories||Glycemic Load Range|
|1.||Low Glycemic Load||From 0 to 10|
|2.||Medium Glycemic Load||From 11 to 19|
|3.||High Glycemic Load||20 and above|
The Glycemic Load Mangoes is only 9. It demonstrates that this fruit is safe for diabetic patients as well.
A low Glycemic Load is safe and recommended for diabetics.
Hence, experts and tests prove that the mango can be safely included in diabetic diets.
What are the daily limits for the eating Mangoes?
As we already mentioned, the right amounts of intake are very crucial for a diabetic person. The limit must not be overdone but rather be maintained.
Diabetic specialists and dieticians recommend keeping your daily calorie intake in the normal range. For a diabetic, these daily calorie limits matter more.
If you want to include mangoes in your daily routine safely, be sure to take healthy foods. This will help to prevent any mishaps when it comes to the body’s blood sugars.
- Doctors say that if your calorie intakes are controlled, and blood sugar is unchanged, you can eat two mangoes in a day.
- But it is best to have a serving of 120 grams of mango per day only for a diabetic patient. This accounts for one small to medium-sized mango.
As blood sugar patients are advised to take less sugary foods, that is why fruits maybe sometimes questionable for them.
But when it comes to mangoes, the fiber and water content in it help make it a better fruit even for diabetics.
The fiber helps to reduce the overall effect of carbohydrates in the body. Moreover, this fruit is very juicy, meaning it has a lot of water.
The higher amount of water reduces the total flesh content. This means that the total carbohydrate is also somewhat reduced.
Therefore, this fruit can be easily administered to diabetics.
Always consider all the cautions and limitations.
It is best to inquire your doctor about the perfect way and amounts when consuming mangoes. This is going to help you be on a safer side.
Also, it is best to test your sugar levels before and after the consumption of mangoes. This will help you to find out the effects that this fruit has on your health.
If you observe any harsh effects, then you should immediately stop and consult your physicians as well.
If you experience any other discomforts or allergic reactions, it is better to find out the causes and treat them. Make sure to place your health before your cravings.
What are the Nutritional Values of Mango?
As we said before, the mango fruit is full of a myriad of nutritional goodness. It can have many benefits for overall health.
But before we get started with the health benefits of mangoes, let us find out what the nutritional information of this fit is.
The table below shows the nutritional elements available in 100 grams of mangoes and the quantities available.
|Sl. No.||Nutrients found in 100 grams of mangoes||Amount of Nutrients available|
– Dietary fiber
– Total sugar
– 2 g
– 13 g
|17.||Vitamin B2||0.038 µg|
|18.||Vitamin B1||0.028 µg|
|19.||Vitamin B3||0.669 µg|
|20.||Vitamin B5||0.197 µg|
|21.||Vitamin B6||0.119 µg|
|22.||Vitamin K||4.2 µg|
|23.||Vitamin E||0.9 µg|
|25.||Vitamin A||1082 µg|
|26.||Vitamin C||36.4 µg|
Apart from so many nutrients found in mangoes, it is also good in many other health aspects.
- Mangoes are fruits that are low in calories
- Low in sugars
- Have no trans fat
- Are lower in saturated fats
9 Health Benefits of Eating Mangoes
Finally, we will discuss the numerous health benefits of eating mangoes. They are as follows:
- First of all, this fruit helps in controlling the levels of cholesterol in the body. The presence of pectin, fiber, and vitamin C, alongside low fatty nutrients, helps keep cholesterol levels under control. This, in turn, protects the heart and keeps diabetics away from harm as well.
- They are also full of many rich anti-oxidants. Anti-oxidants in the body maintain a strong balance and keep away the risks caused due to free-radicals. They also keep away cancer-causing cells.
- Mangoes are beneficial for the digestive system as well. The fiber makes you feel full. Moreover, it also prevents the occurrence of constipation, intestinal disorders, indigestion, and related issues.
- Mangoes have a lot of immunity-boosting nutrients. Vitamin A, C, and many minerals help to keep the body enriched with goodness and away from harm.
- Iron in mangoes is also an essential mineral. It keeps the blood circulation clean as well as functional. It helps to prevent anemia. Iron is very crucial for women too.
- Mangoes have also been known to boost memory power. Eating mangoes have a positive effect on encouraging concentration.
- The vitamins in mangoes make it amazing for the skin too. Mangoes can nourish and highlight the skin with the many healthy nutrients it has.
- Mango is a summer fruit. It has a lot of vitamin C as well as water. These are both important to keep the body safe from heat strokes in summers.
- Eating mangoes can also help avoid night-blindness, dry eyes, etc., they are good and healthy for the eyes.