Your everyday habits can bring in the most positive changes in your life. Starting from a healthy wake-up routine, exercise, and not to forget – food habits, everything plays a crucial role.
Food habits are among the most important when it comes to maintaining good health. Turmeric is one of the kings of remedial spices. It has been and is still used as a medicine for various ailments and well-being.
Today we will find out more about this healthy spice – turmeric. Are you wondering…?
- What is turmeric?
- What are its benefits for health?
- How much to take daily for health benefits?
Worry not! We are here to answer all your confusions. We will guide your journey towards building a good health profile.
Let us get started!
What is Turmeric?
Let us begin with a basic but important question.
Turmeric is a major spice in all cuisines, majorly Asian. It is a yellow powder that is derived from the turmeric plant. The turmeric plant is known as Curcuma Longa, and it belongs to the ginger plant family.
The turmeric initially is an underground tuber or stem which is uprooted for culinary and medicinal uses. It is very useful for health.
⭐ Check out this Flipbook with 30-Day Diabetic Meal Plan based on Foods from Each Indian State ⭐
(click on the ▶ arrow below to scroll the pages and 🔍 button to enlarge)
The use of turmeric powder in cooking is to add medicinal goodness to the overall meal.
This tuberous stem is ground and processed into the turmeric spice powder, its common form. It is appreciated in culinary fields for its color, aroma, and health-enhancing properties.
This underground stem can be used as it is occurring naturally, in a paste form, as powder, dried tubers, etc.
Indian cuisines, curries, medicines, etc., are highly inclusive of Turmeric. In addition to that, turmeric is also a crucial medicinal part of Ayurveda.
Moving on, we will discuss in detail the endless goddesses hidden in this spice.
Can Diabetics Eat Turmeric?
Turmeric has the main component as Curcumin, an excellent element for many health ailments: digestive problems, pains, injuries, cough, cold, etc. Similarly, Turmeric is also beneficial for diabetics.
It is very good, and at the same time, very safe for diabetic patients as well. Many pieces of research have shown that eating turmeric can include good nutrients in the body. It is also known to decrease the levels of blood sugar in the body.
It is proven to have a stabilizing effect on the body’s blood glucose. Diabetic patients benefit from keeping a manageable blood sugar level in the body with the consumption of diabetics.
Also, the Glycemic Index of Turmeric is only 5. That is among the lowest ranges, denoting that it is very safe and recommended for preventing diabetes.
Turmeric is considered very useful for Type 2 Diabetes. It can prevent other diabetic symptoms and complications of health.
In addition to its properties in managing diabetes, turmeric is also otherwise beneficial for overall health. It keeps the digestive functions healthy and well functional. This is a major concern for people suffering from diabetes.
Turmeric is also enriched with many antioxidants and anti-inflammatory goodness. This is useful in keeping away cancer-causing cells and free-radicals, which lead to many harmful manifestations in the body.
Diabetics are more vulnerable to such diseases and bodily discomforts. But the intake of turmeric can prove to be very medicinal for all.
Turmeric is available in many ways, such as – powders, pastes, dried stems, etc. All the forms can be good for health.
It is also advisable for diabetics to pay attention to their health needs and even their food and medicinal potions. Similarly, portion-control norms apply to turmeric as well.
It is supposed to be taken in proper dosages and not overdone.
Wondering how to consume Turmeric daily for keeping the body healthy? Let us get into that now.
How much Turmeric to take daily for health benefits?
As per experts and dieticians, a 500 mg dosage of the Curcumin chemical is a good daily amount for the body. It is necessary ad can provide numerous health benefits.
It is advised to take 500 – 1200 mg Curcumin daily. This amount is fulfilled by two daily doses of a 500 mg Curcumin supplement.
But to be on the safe side, one can also include one dose of the turmeric supplement in a day. It is better to begin slow and then gradually build up to higher dosages.
Tips to include turmeric daily in your health routines for benefits:
- You can get Turmeric supplements from various medical stores. These are made to influence the body directly. Moreover, it is easier to select and manage your daily Curcumin dosages as amounts are specified.
- Using turmeric as a seasoning and as a substitute over salt is another good way to induce health benefits. When used as a spice, its effect may be lesser due to limited usage of this spice. Thus, it is better to aim for turmeric supplements.
- Another way of including turmeric in your day to day affairs is to consume fresh turmeric in its stem-form every morning. Half an adult thumb-size turmeric stem is the best amount. Peel it and chew it raw, first thing in the morning. You can also pair it with honey, jaggery, and Tulsi leaves.
- The Turmeric spice powder can also be added to your daily cup of tea, soup bowls, a glass of milk, etc. These are ways to treat ailments using turmeric in the traditional method of medicine.
Although Turmeric is very good for health and has several advantages, it is crucial to keep the proper dosage. Only when you include supplements safely will you reap its benefits.
It is always smart to refer your doctor or dieticians to help you out with what will work best for your body. It is a recommended step towards a healthy lifestyle.
What is the Nutritional composition of Turmeric?
Before moving on to know the many amazing health benefits of turmeric, let us look at this herbal and medicinal spice’s nutritional profile.
Nutrients found and their quantities are stated in the table below.
|Sl. No.||Nutrients available in 100 g Turmeric||Amount Available|
– Dietary fiber
– 3 g
– 23 g
|17.||Vitamin E||4.43 µg|
|18.||Vitamin C||0.7 µg|
|20.||Vitamin K||13.4 µg|
|21.||Vitamin B5||0.542 µg|
|22.||Vitamin B2||0.15 µg|
|23.||Vitamin B6||0.107 µg|
|24.||Vitamin B3||1.35 µg|
|25.||Vitamin B1||0.058 µg|
Now, we can see that this spice is filled with endless vitamins, minerals, and macro-nutrients.
Now, we will see the health benefits one can reap from the consumption of turmeric.
What are the Health Benefits of Turmeric?
- Turmeric is a very beneficial and a go-to remedy for hay fever. It is a medicinal herb that cures everyday coughs, colds, throat infections, congestions, sneezing, running nose, etc. Turmeric powder added in milk is a great drink for curing hay fever and related symptoms.
- Turmeric extracts are also very assisting in keeping away aches and joint pains. Knee osteoporosis, arthritis, and other joint pains can be reduced by the consumption of turmeric daily. Not only does turmeric extract decrease pain, but it also improves muscles and joints’ overall functioning. Hence, it also aids in preventing such body discomforts.
- The manifestations of many chronic diseases begin from small level inflammations that form in the body. Turmeric has properties that help in preventing the occurrence of inflammation in the body. Curcumin is an important chemical that cures inflammation and does not leave any side-effects.
- Oxidative effects and the negative effects of free radicals in the body can lead to many chronic ailments. The antioxidant properties found in turmeric help in preventing the adverse effects brought in my free-radicals. It protects the body from such chronic diseases.
- Curcumin in turmeric is also said to be beneficial in promoting better brain functioning. It can help in keeping away the risks of developing brain diseases and dysfunctions. It is a way to keep away diseases such as Alzheimer’s, depression, neural disorders, etc.
- Curcumin in turmeric also aids in protecting the heart from many diseases. It works to improve the strength and function of the blood vessel lining of the heart. Moreover, the reduced vulnerability towards inflammation and oxidation in the body also keeps the heart safe.
- It has the qualities to keep the body safeguarded from diseases that occur with aging. Turmeric’s daily use in diet can control Alzheimer’s, heart diseases, cancer, and nervous system failures.
What are the Side effects of Turmeric?
Limiting your consumption to a moderate amount is necessary as an excess of it can cause certain side effects:
- One can face an allergic reaction to consuming turmeric. If this is the case, then its consumption must be stopped immediately.
- People with gall bladder issues should not consume turmeric. It can worsen these ailments.
- People with liver-related problems must also refrain from using turmeric daily.
- Turmeric may even cause slow blood clotting in the body. This can be bad for diabetics as well.