Are you a diabetic who is constantly overthinking about your diet? Are you tired of having to avoid so many foods that you love?
Well, if Raspberries are among them, then you have got nothing to worry about! If you were previously uncertain about adding these berries to your diet, then now is the time. Raspberries are great and safe for diabetics and can reduce blood sugar levels!
Following are some ways in which Raspberries assist to control diabetes:
- Raspberries are excellent fruits when it comes to keeping diabetes under control and blood sugars low. These berries have been tested and proved to help treat and control Type 2 Diabetes.
- The researches carried out by experts have concluded that the daily consumption of raspberries alongside your meals can help in reducing blood sugar levels. The blood sugar levels have experienced a drop after meals when paired with raspberries.
- The availability of the Anthocyanin compounds found in Raspberries keeps the glucose levels under control. They are also responsible for improving insulin sensitivity.
- Not just that, Raspberries are also great for keeping the insulin hormone properly functional. Insulin is very crucial for managing the body’s blood sugars. Improper insulin function can lead to harmful fluctuations in the body that can be dangerous for a diabetic individual.
- Besides, they also have several potential benefits that improve metabolism. This is beneficial to keep away the risks of digestive and metabolic disorders. In turn, the overall internal system is benefitted and kept safe.
Apart from these diabetes-specific benefits, Raspberries can have greater advantages in one’s health as well. Before having a look at those, let us know about the Glycemic Index of Raspberries.
Are Raspberries healthy for Diabetes?
What’s even better? Raspberries can be enjoyed by diabetes patients as well! Yes, you got it right!
Well, these berries do not only serve the looks but also provides you with many necessary health benefits and nourishment.
Raspberries are greatly popular for their packed nutrients. Vitamins, minerals, antioxidant properties, fibers, etc. Raspberries have it all!
Raspberries have been under research for a long back. They’ve been tested and clinically proven to be advantageous in maintaining proper heart health.
It is great for one’s blood pressure, which is an important element in overall health and body maintenance. It is required to have normal blood pressures to keep other risks and health discomforts away.
Moreover, it is also found out that raspberries have cancer prevention qualities. Many valuable nutrients, such as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory factors, help keep the overall system free from harmful internal ailments and chronic conditions.
The presence of fiber in raspberries also makes it an excellent supplement to keep the stomach and overall metabolism in control. It is also an active assisting agent to keep the body weight in control.
10 Health Benefits of eating Raspberries in Diabetes
Here are some of the abundant benefits that this nutrient-rich food has to offer.
- Raspberries are filled with good amounts of fiber. A high-fiber meal and fiber-rich diet are very beneficial to keep away many digestion and intestinal disorders. It is also an agent that keeps the gut bacteria healthy and happy and prevents constipation, indigestion, and similar health conditions.
- The availability of flavonoids such as Anthocyanin can help in keeping inflammation away. This helps keep the heart healthy and prevents cardiovascular risks. The presence of potassium is also required to keep the blood pressures in control and avoid heart strokes’ vulnerability.
- Not only is it good for the heart but also beneficial for the brain. Raspberries have many antioxidants that are useful to keep the mind healthy, fit, and preserve memory and brainpower.
- The goodness of the nutritional composition of raspberries can help maintain several elements of the body. It keeps blood pressure, cholesterol levels, etc., in check.
- Many antioxidants in raspberries are also helpful in fighting and preventing the growth of cancer cells. Tests have found that raspberries extracts have the power to manage and combat breast, colon, lung, esophageal, gastric, and other cancers.
- Raspberries are also great for managing weight. It helps reduce body weight and also managing obesity. It is very necessary to maintain a normal and healthy body weight. It keeps away diabetes, heart risks, etc.
- Moreover, raspberries are also great in keeping the eye healthy. The antioxidant – Zeaxanthin keeps the eye protected from the harmful blue rays. It also prevents age-related vision issues and strengthens the eyes.
- Raspberries contain Vitamin C. This is a great element for collagen production in the body, which assists in improving skin health, joint strengths, etc.
- The presence of vitamin K is good for the clotting of blood. This is very necessary for various functions and overall body health.
- Folate is another element that enriches the body with needed goodness. It is recommended for women, especially during childbirth.
What is the Glycemic Index of Raspberries?
The Glycemic ranges of measurement are ideal in identifying good and healthy foods. Diabetic individuals need to be aware of the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load of various foods to determine if the food is recommended or not for their health.
The Glycemic Index of food decides how that particular food and its carbs will influence the body. The way the Glycemic Index of foods is measured is on a scale of 0 to 100. They are then classified as safe or unsafe based on their ranks.
The table below lists the Glycemic Index categories:
|Sl. No.||Glycemic Index Categories||Glycemic Ranges|
|1.||Low Glycemic Index||0 to 55|
|2.||Medium Glycemic Index||56 to 69|
|3.||High Glycemic Index||70 and above|
Raspberries, like several other berries, fall under the low Glycemic Index category. They have a Glycemic Index of 32. This denotes that they are absolutely safe and even recommended fruits for a diabetic patient to keep it under control.
The Glycemic Load of food also indicates the safety of food based on its quantity. The correct amount is often what makes a diet healthier. Knowledge of the Glycemic Load can contribute towards this goodness factor as well.
Here is a table representing the 3 Glycemic Load categories:
|Sl. No.||Glycemic Load categories||Glycemic Ranges|
|1.||Low Glycemic Load||0 to 10|
|2.||Medium Glycemic Load||11 – 19|
|3.||High Glycemic Load||20 and above|
Just as raspberries are safe as per Glycemic Index, they are similarly secure and recommended as determined by their Glycemic Load.
As per research, the Glycemic Load of ½ a cup of raspberries is measured to be 2.7. This is low and a great amount for diabetic consumption as well.
What is the Nutritional composition of Raspberries?
Until now, we talked about the many advantages that these berries can have on one’s diabetic lifestyle. Let us look at the nutrients found in this fruit that enable it with all the great qualities it possesses.
|Sl. No.||Nutrients available in a cup of Raspberries (123 g)||Amount available|
|15.||Vitamin C||32.2 mg|
|17.||Vitamin E||1.1 mg|
|18.||Vitamin K||9.6 mcg|
|21.||Beta carotene||14.8 mcg|
|22.||Lutein + Zeaxanthin||167.0 mcg|
Thus, you can find out the presence of plenty of vitamins and minerals enriched in Raspberries. They are true fruits packed with goodness.
Are there any Risks in eating Raspberries if you are Diabetic?
Along with all the goodness, there are certain risks of eating Raspberries too. They include:
- As fruits, these may have pesticide residues that may harm the body. It’s definitely better to choose organic and clean varieties.
- Raspberries ketones present in some medicinal supplements can be too powerful if not regulated well. They may lead to weight or hair loss if uncontrolled.
With all the benefits and risks of these berries, be sure to efficiently include them in your diet.