Diabetes is not just a health condition now; it has become a critical lifestyle that many face and desire to overcome. It is one of the most widespread disorders of the 20th century.
Diabetes is a condition that is described by imbalances in the blood sugar levels of the body. It is such a condition that influences all of your daily choices and routines. You have to be highly vigilant of your diets, pay more attention to healthier alternatives to foods, and carry out constant checks to ensure that your body is out of any risk.
But the brighter side to it is that diabetes is a curable condition and beating it can start from your home. With everyday tips and health rules, you can combat and defeat diabetes.
Today, let us find out more about such tips and information to guide us in keeping our diabetes levels managed. We will go through the details of coconut water and its impacts on the diabetic body.
Let us cover …
- Can diabetic patients drink coconut water?
- How much coconut water can a diabetic drink?
- Is coconut high in sugar?
- Is it safe to drink coconut water every day?
- What are the benefits of drinking coconut water?
- What are the side effects of drinking coconut water?
And further on.
So without any wastage of time, let us get diving into today’s intriguing topic.
Can diabetic patients drink coconut water?
Before knowing more about this drink and its effects, we are certain that you must be expecting a direct answer to if you can have coconut water as a diabetic? Well, the answer is – YES! It is indeed safe to have coconut water as a diabetes patient.
Diabetes is a condition that asks you to limit your overall sugar intake. But the good thing about coconut water is that its mild sweetness has no harmful effects on the body’s blood sugar level.
Researches that have been conducted have proved that coconut water has the efficiency of keeping the blood glucose levels of the body under control. It is said to be very effective in managing diabetes by adding natural goodness and lots of nutrition to the body.
Coconut water is known for its many health benefits. It is one of the most common energy drinks. It is sweet and helps in energizing the body without adding excess carbs or calories. Thus, it is very suitable for diabetic patients as well.
Coconut water is also said to be great in keeping the metabolic functions of the body properly functioning. This is an important necessity for all diabetic patients as blood sugar issues arise and result in metabolic dysfunctions.
Coconut water is also rich in several minerals such as potassium and magnesium. These are vital nutrients that maintain the various levels in the body, such as blood pressure.
Despite the safety recommendations and the various benefits, it is still to be considered in a limited and safe amount to assure no risks to the health.
We will go through the limitations, benefits, and even side effects of this refreshing drink in detail in the following sections.
How much coconut water can a diabetic drink?
Well, according to numerous distinct studies, it has been found that that a regular glass serving is a good serving size for coconut water. It is a safe amount that does not affect the blood sugar levels of the body. Instead, it is a great portion to enrich the body with the good nutrients that coconut water offers.
A medium glass serving is around 220 ml to 240 ml. Take note that this is a limit that you have to consider and stick to, to ensure that the health suffers no risk.
Also, keep in mind that the coconut water we are talking about is the natural coconut water obtained directly from the fruit. The natural juice is a lot healthier and not altered or refined.
Packaged and store-bought coconut water has more sugar and other artificial flavors added to it that increases the overall percent of carbohydrates and calories to the drink.
Moreover, the coconut water available in stores as packaged drinks often contains preservatives, which increase the added harmful chemicals in the drink. This makes it even riskier for the body.
It is better to stick to natural varieties and the everyday limited quantities of diabetic patients and coconut water.
You can resort to drinking coconut water first thing in the morning or after your daily exercise session to reload you with hydration as well as energy.
It is best effective when consumed on an empty stomach first thing every morning. The plenty of electrolytes available in coconut water can strengthen the body and serve as energy refreshment.
Is coconut high in sugar?
Coconut in its fresh form is a perfect fruit. Moreover, as we already discussed, its water obtained directly from the fruit is also low in sugar and can be consumed even in diabetes.
But on the other hand, dried, powdered, or even sweetened varieties of coconuts are available in the markets, which are high in sugar and can be unhealthy for consumption by diabetics.
But when including the coconut in the diabetic meal routines, it is better to keep away from the meat of the coconut. It may cause high levels of sugar in some diabetic patients.
A regular one cup amount of shredded coconut (100 g) has around 80 grams of carbohydrates. This number keeps varying depending on the form of the coconut and its ripeness.
The glycemic index of coconut is also on the lower side, which means it falls from 0 to 55. It has a Glycemic Index of 42. This is a justification that the coconut is safe for diabetic consumption.
From the below table, you can gain better assurance about its glycemic value.
|Sl. No.||Glycemic Index categories||Glycemic Index ranges|
|1.||Low Glycemic Index (safe for diabetics)||0 to 55|
|2.||Medium Glycemic Index (safe when taken in moderate quantities)||55 to 69|
|3.||High Glycemic Index (unsafe for diabetics)||From 70 and above|
Is it safe to drink coconut water every day?
It is usually safe to include coconut water in your daily diabetic schedules. But at the same time, it is really significant to keep an eye on how it affects your body.
Makes sure you measure and check your blood glucose responses to coconut water and then only carry on with whether to include this drink in your meals daily or not.
You can also consult your doctors for better advice and an expert solution that matches your diet and health needs.
On top of that, if you, at any time, experience any discomforts or allergic reactions to drinking coconut water, it is best to stop immediately.
On the other hand, everyday consumption of coconut water is great for the body as it enriches and energizes. Coconut water also adds proper moisture to the body.
Coconut water is a great choice to use as a replacement for otherwise sugary drinks and beverages. Ensure that you include fresh and natural coconut water to gain the best results.
What are the benefits of drinking coconut water every day?
All this while, we praised the various advantages of having coconut and including coconut water in diabetic diets. But what are these advantages?
Let us look at each one in detail and find out more about how your body can benefit from it.
- Your daily one cup of coconut water contains only 48 calories, which is very low and can help keep the body’s weight under control. It is thus good for weight loss.
- It can also aid in keeping the kidney well functional. Diabetic patients often face many complications in the organs affected by high and unstable blood sugar levels.
- Along with keeping the kidney healthy, it also helps to prevent urine infections.
- The availability of potassium in coconut water can assist in maintaining the blood pressure of the body. This also reduces the risks of hypertension.
- Other minerals with potassium found in coconut water like magnesium and calcium are good for keeping the cardiovascular functioning right and healthy.
- Coconut not only hydrates but also acts as an agent that detoxifies the body and removes impurities. It helps to clean the body from the inside and increases the overall efficiency of functioning. This drink assists in flushing out toxins from the body via urine.
- Coconut helps in providing you with enough energy. This can prevent feelings of fatigue and dehydration.
- Drinking coconut water is also medicinal in treating mild stomach problems as it helps with keeping the body’s metabolism strong.
What are the side effects of drinking coconut water?
Along with all the health advantages, coconut water can have slight adverse effects such as:
- People who are sensitive to coconut pollen may catch some skin allergies and reactions after consuming coconut water.
- Coconut also has a lot of potassium. If not controlled, this high quantity of potassium can lead to kidney complications.
- If you had surgery recently, it is best to avoid coconut water for a few weeks to hamper blood pressure levels.
- If you are intolerant to coconut, the consumption of coconut water can also upset your stomach and causes related discomforts.
It is advised that you consider your unique body needs and reactions before making any choice.