Are you a patient of diabetes? If so, the chances are that you are always searching for anti-diabetic solutions. The good news is that several such choices can help in keeping the blood sugar levels steady.
We are here to help you unveil the natural elements that can encourage the combatting of diabetes through simple and effective measures. There are numerous food options out there that assist in diabetes management. But, to understand and avail all the benefits of anti-diabetic foods, you must properly know about them and their impacts.
Today, let us discuss one such spice item related to being an excellent addition to one’s diabetic health plans. We are talking about Cinnamon. Let us delve deeper and find out about the true influences of Cinnamon.
You must be wondering about …
- Can Cinnamon lower blood sugar?
- Can you take Cinnamon with metformin?
- How long does it take Cinnamon to lower blood sugar?
- Health Benefits of Cinnamon
- Nutrition information of Cinnamon
- What are the spices that help in lowering blood sugar?
So, let us get started with this interesting discussion today.
Can Cinnamon lower blood sugar?
Well, to answer this question of yours straight away – YES! Cinnamon is indeed magical when it comes to dealing with diabetes and its control.
Several observations, studies, and experiments have shown the effect of glycemic level stability on cinnamon spice consumption.
Not only is Cinnamon said to be good for lowering blood sugar levels, but it also promotes better management of other systems in the body. It has also been observed that eating Cinnamon can positively impact cholesterol and increase good cholesterol and decrease bad cholesterol in the body.
Several research and studies have shown that Cinnamon consists of anti-hyperglycemic properties; therefore, it leads to lower glucose levels in the body when taken in the right amounts. The effects of lowered blood sugar levels have been observed in individuals in post-prandial conditions.
In addition to that, the benefits of Cinnamon on a diabetic individual’s health are also enhanced because of its insulin-resistance reduction qualities. Insulin is an important pancreatic hormone that is necessary for keeping away diabetes. A proper flow and function of the insulin hormone in the body assure the control of blood glucose levels.
In this way, Cinnamon promotes diabetic blood sugar levels by stimulating insulin in the right ways. Researches have also shown that the consumption of Cinnamon has numerous potentials to decrease other pathogenic diabetes-related complications of health.
It is also said to benefit the fasting plasma glucose levels. It helps in keeping the overall blood sugar and diabetic margins just at normal. There are several recommendations around using Cinnamon to treat and encourage the management of diabetes.
We will have a look at several other benefits of cinnamon consumption and also its nutritional facts.
But before that, let us concentrate on some more diabetes and cinnamon combinations that can be helpful to know about.
Can you take Cinnamon with Metformin?
As a diabetic individual, you have to consider the effects of the food you take with the health drugs prescribed to diabetic management. Similarly, you must be cautious before adding Cinnamon to your diet too if you take medications like – metformin.
But a very good part is that Cinnamon has no hindering effects on the functioning of metformin in the body. It is not harmful and does not at all react to form any diabetic complications.
You can take your medication of metformin and also practice the intake of Cinnamon without any worries or intended harm.
Experiments have concluded that diabetic individuals who take metformin and Cinnamon have not reported any cases of discomfort or further issues.
But it is important to consider the fact that all our bodies are different. Our reactions to different intakes may also vary depending on the health conditions. Hence, it is best to refer to your doctors once before deciding to add any new or different foods or techniques to control diabetes.
Make sure to consult your health experts as they know your diabetic conditions the best and can suggest necessary and safe measures. Ensure you are following all the precautions and restrictions to prevent any diabetic health severity.
How long does it take Cinnamon to lower blood sugar?
Using Cinnamon for controlling diabetes is a long-term treatment idea. Studies have proved that regular consumption of Cinnamon for weeks can lead to effective lowering of blood sugar with time.
Patients can consume 1 g of Cinnamon daily for 2 – 3 months to ensure its good effects on the body. With the overtime consumption of this spice, the results can be seen effectively.
But it is important to keep remembering that Cinnamon alone is no cure for your diabetic health problems. It has to be paired with the right otherwise diet, exercising to keep the body fully functional and active, timely checkups and medications, etc.
Hence, it is not a substitute and only works when consumed routinely and follows proper diets and diabetic management measures.
But at the same time, ensure that you do not overdo any quantities of this spice. It is always best to stick to the daily 1 gram to 3 grams limit.
10 Health Benefits of Cinnamon
We talked about how Cinnamon is great for lowering blood sugar levels in the body. On top of that, it also has many other benefits to offer for diabetic patients. Let us have a look at them one by one.
- Cinnamon is said to be effective in curing insulin imbalance and dysfunction in the body. Insulin helps in keeping the body’s metabolism properly functional. Without the effective working of insulin, the blood sugar levels may experience spikes and lead to diabetes. The inclusion of Cinnamon can slowly mitigate insulin dysfunction issues.
- Cinnamon consumption in diabetes has been related to cardiovascular risk management. It can help in having several protecting properties that reduce the risks of heart problems. It can help with keeping cholesterol levels safe and prevent risks for diabetics.
- Diabetic patients often complain about issues of improper blood flow and coagulation troubles. The intake of Cinnamon daily can also assist in improving the clotting of blood. It has anti-clotting properties that allow proper circulation of blood, leading to overall better functioning of the body.
- Cinnamon is a rich spice filled with several vital nutrients. These all together help boost the body’s immunity power and extend protection against internal and external harms. A strengthened Immune system is an important necessity for diabetics to avoid the vulnerability of the body.
- Cinnamon is beneficial in arthritis too. Diabetic patients can be prone to joint pains and issues of arthritis. The consumption of Cinnamon can encourage relieving pain and reducing such symptoms.
- Cinnamon has many polyphenol antioxidants. These antioxidants help in fighting the body’s free radicals and the internal damage caused by them. Cinnamon is also an anti-inflammatory agent that keeps the body free from inflammation and pain.
- The consumption of Cinnamon can also lead to the short-term lowering of blood pressure. Over the days, using Cinnamon can help with managing diabetes and keeping away blood pressure disorders.
- Cinnamon is also used as Ayurvedic medicine to treat stomach issues. It is a very efficient gastrointestinal medicine that eases digestion. Cinnamon makes the body warmer and drives proper blood circulation, which keeps the body processes properly functional.
- Cinnamon has anti-microbial effects. Therefore, Cinnamon can be used to treat a variety of ailments like – common cold, bronchitis, congestion, etc.
- Cinnamon is also useful in treating certain conditions of the eye, such as dry eye, conjunctivitis, etc. It has also been used in traditional medicinal systems over the years to treat eye problems. Diabetics can benefit from this immensely as they are prone to eye problems, retinopathy, etc.
Apart from all this, Cinnamon can pair with other herbs and medicine to make it more advantageous and yield higher health benefit results.
Now, let us have a detailed look at the underlying components that facilitate these numerous benefits.
What are the nutritional values of Cinnamon
|SL. No.||Nutrients present in 100 g cinnamon||Amount available|
– Dietary fiber
– 53.1 g
– 2.17 g
|17.||Vitamin A||295 IU|
|18.||Vitamin C||3.8 mg|
|19.||Vitamin E||2.32 mg|
|20.||Vitamin K||31.2 µg|
|21.||Vitamin B6||0.158 mg|
|22.||Vitamin B3||1.332 mg|
|23.||Vitamin B5||0.354 mg|
|25.||Vitamin B2||0.041 mg|
|26.||Vitamin B1||0.022 mg|
What are the spices that help in lowering blood sugar?
The below list of spices and herbs other than Cinnamon can aid in diabetes management by lowering blood sugar levels in the body:
- Fenugreek (methi)
- Curry leaves
The usage of spices and herbs for the management of diabetes must be carried out carefully.