Apple cider vinegar is popularly used for salad dressing, vinaigrettes, chutneys, marinades, etc. But did you know about its medicinal parts? It is great in several ways, and we will have a closer look at its various functions today.
Can Apple Cider Vinegar Lower Sugar Levels in Diabetes?
Apple cider vinegar has been scientifically proven to have a blood sugar lowering capacity, in individuals with diabetes.
Apple cider vinegar is said to reduce blood sugar levels effectively and keeps HbAc1 readings low. It is hence a good ingredient to aid blood sugar management. It has been found helpful for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetic patients.
Researchers have shown that it can be beneficial for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetic patients. Hence, it is safe to say that diabetic individuals can have apple cider vinegar.
It is more than just safe for you if you are a diabetic. It can further cause many advantageous effects on the health that ensure good maintenance of diabetic health.
Apple cider vinegar is known to be wonderful for gut health. It can keep the gut bacteria healthy. This, in turn, improves the metabolism and digestive health of the body. Proper metabolic functioning is a significant necessity for anyone with diabetes.
The detailed research shows that apple cider vinegar I helpful for diabetes management when paired with all the other right things. You have to have a good active schedule with a diabetes-specific diet. Only then, apple cider vinegar can work to improve your blood sugar levels.
Keeping your diabetic habits in check and adding in apple cider vinegar is a great way to control better and manage your health. Studies had shown that patients with Type 2 diabetes recorded lower blood sugar levels in the morning when they consumed apple cider vinegar on the previous night.
It is important to keep in mind that apple cider vinegar is no replacement for any diabetic medicine or a healthy lifestyle. It is only a factor that can encourage diabetes control.
Its functional significance is dependent on a prior well-maintained diabetic routine.
Can you take apple cider vinegar with diabetes medication?
From the above section, it might be clear that apple cider vinegar is good for lowering blood sugar levels. This can be very helpful for diabetic patients. But on the other hand, you should avoid taking your diabetic medications with apple cider vinegar.
Diabetic medicines are prescribed, making sure that they adjust your blood sugar levels and do not let them spike. On top of that, if you add apple cider vinegar, the effect of lowering blood sugars may be enhanced. This can also result in abnormally low blood sugar levels.
Very low blood glucose levels are also harmful to the body and may cause symptoms like – headaches, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, increased thirst, etc. When left untreated, the lower blood sugar levels in the body can also lead to unconsciousness. These are signs of unmanaged diabetic health.
This rule of avoiding apple cider vinegar also applies to you if you take insulin as a diabetic patient. Artificial insulin does the same job of managing your sugar absorptions to facilitate proper blood sugar levels.
Apple cider vinegar added to this may give rise to lower than normal blood glucose levels. This is harmful to the body.
Apple cider vinegar with diabetic medicines also has the potential to lower the level of potassium in your blood. This induces risks of hypokalemia. You may also experience other discomforts like constipation and vulnerability of missed heartbeats, muscle damage, numbness, tingling, increased palpitations, fatigue, etc.
People on other drugs like those for hypertension and heart health are often advised against taking apple cider vinegar. It can lead to other side effects and be harmful.
It is better to find out the safety of apple cider vinegar for your body and health issues for managing diabetes efficiently. You can consult your doctors, and they can guide you about the usage of apple cider vinegar.
How does apple cider vinegar affect insulin?
Apple cider vinegar also has an impact on the insulin of the body. It has been declared that apple cider vinegar increases sensitivity to insulin in the body.
Insulin is an important metabolic hormone that helps the breakdown, release, and absorption of nutrients. It is also useful for regulating blood sugar levels in the body. Insufficient insulin production or an improper response to it by the body is what leads to diabetes.
Apple cider vinegar can help to reduce the resistance of the body to the insulin produced. Increased sensitivity to insulin assists in the proper maintenance of blood glucose levels.
As we know by now, apple cider vinegar lowers blood sugar levels. Proper blood glucose levels over time help improve the diabetic conditions in the body and restore better functioning and the efficient functioning of insulin in the body.
Who should not drink apple cider vinegar?
There are certain restrictions that you should know and follow to make sure that you do not harm your health. Apple cider vinegar can be good as well as have some side effects on your health.
Let us see what some side effects of vinegar are and who should not drink apple cider vinegar?
- Anyone who is on diabetes medication or insulin doses must avoid having apple cider vinegar. This is to ensure that the blood sugar levels do not go lower than the normal levels.
- If you are on hypertension drugs, you must not have apple cider vinegar. It can further reduce the amount of potassium in the blood and cause other unhealthy effects.
- If you are mediation for heart issues, then you should restrict yourself from having apple cider vinegar. If not restricted, you may experience very low levels of potassium in the body.
- In higher quantities over time, Apple cider vinegar can lead to the weakening of teeth and cause tooth decay. It is acidic and can worsen sensitivity in the teeth. To prevent this, you can switch to drinking apple cider vinegar with straws to reduce contact with teeth.
- If you are already experiencing troubles like indigestion, stomach inflammation, etc., you must refrain from drinking apple cider vinegar.
It is crucial to understand your health needs and conditions before administering apple cider vinegar to your body.
What time of the day should you drink apple cider vinegar?
Well, there is a right and wrong to including apple cider vinegar for your good health maintenance. If not limited in quantities and followed timely, apple cider vinegar may be harmful.
It is best to take your apple cider vinegar first thing in the morning. It is said to be more effective when taken on an empty stomach. It is also said that this practice helps to cleanse the body and aid in toxin release.
You can also have it before your meals. This helps to make you feel fuller, and you end up consuming lesser calories. This is a well-known way to keep your weight under control.
Moreover, avoid having apple cider vinegar right before bed. Make sure you keep a 30 minutes gap between consuming apple cider vinegar and going to bed.
NOTE: make sure you consume diluted apple cider vinegar only. Highly concentrated apple cider vinegar is harmful and may have acidic effects on the body.
Stick to small amounts of it – ranging from 2 tablespoons to a shot glass quantity and mix it well in a glass of warm water for best benefits.
Apple cider vinegar – 9 health benefits for diabetics
- Apple cider vinegar is known for its efficiency in promoting weight loss. It keeps you full and reduces cravings.
- It is great for keeping diabetic blood sugar levels low and increasing insulin sensitivity, leading to good overall diabetic health.
- It has several anti-microbial properties and keeps away many diseases and infections.
- Apple cider vinegar is good for the gut and promotes healthy digestion as it changes the way the bacteria in our gut processes fats.
- This vinegar is also said to promote healthy pH levels in the body.
- It is also safe and recommended for the heart as it lowers cholesterol and blood pressure when taken rightly.
- It is also great as a morning drink for getting rid of toxins from the body.
- It is also helpful in keeping away dandruff and also improves hair quality.
- Apple cider vinegar also has some anti-cancer qualities.
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Lower Sugar Levels in Diabetes?
- Can you take apple cider vinegar with diabetes medication?
- How does apple cider vinegar affect insulin?
- Who should not drink apple cider vinegar?
- What time of the day should you drink apple cider vinegar?
- Apple cider vinegar – 9 health benefits for diabetics